Thursday, October 20, 2011

So Is Life a Bitch, or Is It Just Me?


I spent my day today behind the keyboard. From about 7:30 a.m. until nearly 5 p.m. I was stuck there with computer issues that I hope are resolved and working. It was a pretty heavy workday today, but I got everything done.

Then I went to my favorite gas station for the daily paper and a single can of Natural Light.

I live in Florida, and as anyone who's been here knows, it's pretty hot and humid in the summer months … but it's never too hot or humid for me. Summer is my favorite time of the year. I live to sweat. I firmly believe those Floridians who say that that they love autumn love it because they can show off their fall clothing. Me? I dress the same way all year long: Shorts or cargo shorts, sandals and a jersey shirt (those without sleeves).

Well, I got in my car in the garage, started it and headed to "Pookey's," the gas station. On my way I passed a time/temperature sign that read 76°. I didn't think much of it until I got out of my car at the station. Good grief! I thought I'd freeze my gonads off! My kind of weather is temps in the 90s and humidity about the same.

Then I got to thinking how long it'll be until next summer … or at least April or May when it'll start getting hot again. Oh so long!

Thinking further, it occurred to me that it's really quite possible that I've enjoyed my last summer. That really depressed me. If all that I have to look forward to before I die is "cold" weather, that's really nothing to look forward to. (Is it?)

I wouldn't "miss" next summer … a dead person can't miss something, but the possibility that I've already enjoyed the last summer ever got me to thinking further. Live each day and wring the most you can out of it. It'll never happen again. Don't regret things you may have done today that you wish you hadn't. It doesn't matter … that's history. Live for the next day and hope that it (and you) comes along and that it will be better.

I guess that's about all any of us can hope for. Life gives no guarantees. If we're lucky enough, we get a second chance to sort out things we screwed up. If we're lucky enough, there will be another summer to enjoy.

Perhaps it's time to forget all the ill-will we bear from others; ill-will that we have toward them. Petty crap that doesn't mean a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things, isn't it?

I guess if I apply myself (and live through it), winter, especially in Florida, won't be all that bad. It's just not my preference. I should be grateful that I'm living rather than complaining about what life deals me and what I'm entitled to. And, I kinda think that there are a lot more people like me … people who take the good things for granted and moan about what could be; what we'd like life to be.

I didn't go into the pool today. When I checked its thermometers they read 79°, both of them … but the air was too cool to suit my taste.

I'll probably go in tomorrow, if I live, and if it's earlier in the day when the sun is shining over it.

But I'll try to take each day as it comes and hope that there will be another summer for me. Maybe I'll learn by then to treat life as kindly as it's treated me so far and stop complaining, if only in my mind.

So is it me, or is it life that's a bitch. I think that I'd have to say, at least in this case, it's me.

No comments: